Sunday 21 June 2020

Father's Day


During the last weekend of May, I found myself reflecting on whether I should write a blog post about Father's Day for my newly launched lifestyle website or not.  The occasion doesn't move me as much as Mother's Day does, so I didn't really feel like it and had to mull things over.

I was never a daddy's girl.  I never had a close relationship with my father.  To me, he was just an authority figure who signed my excuse letters when I got sick and had to be away from school, scolded me when I misbehaved as a kid, gave permission so I could go out with friends as a teen, checked my grades to see how I was performing at school, and provided money for education and daily expenses. 

But I did look up to him, as I remember when I was a kid, I used to always say to my friends that I wanted to be a lawyer like him.  Also, I did get affected and felt his absence when he passed away many years ago, as I remember crying and feeling so sad.  Yet deep in my heart, I never really understood what kind of bond we had.  And even up to this day, I'm still not sure why it felt like he was so distant and 'formal'.

So every time I see loving father-and-daughter scenes, whether in movies or in real life, I can't help but feel different sorts of emotions...moved and happy that such a bond exists, but also jealous and sad that I never had such kind of a relationship with my father.

Fast forward, a week ago (one week into Father's Day), I finally decided to write and publish a Father's Day post.  I thought I'd try even just to be a tiny spark in other daughters' world.

Today is Father's Day.  As I reflect on my relationship with my father, it also moves me to look up and remember my Abba.  The Father who has always been close to me and present in my daily life.  The One who has always been my tower of strength and comfort.  Whose great love for me has always been there to see me through.  

With God as my Father, I know I'll always be Abba's girl ΓΌ





No comments:

Post a Comment