Friday 19 June 2020

Carpe diem!


It was already noontime.  I grabbed my car keys, phone, wallet, and hand sanitizer, and quickly tucked them into my jeans pockets.  I was on my way to the hospital to get myself tested.  I had some weird symptoms that started a week back, so my doctor suggested that I go and get tested.

While in the queue wearing my N95 mask provided by the hospital, and seeing more and more patients coming in, it dawned on me how life can just be taken away anytime.  Have I lived my life to the fullest?  Am I living my purpose?  How much of the things that I've always wanted to do have I already done?

I know my life is super far from 'perfect'.  I had done things in the past that I can no longer undo.  There were things that I should have done but didn't do.  I have missed many opportunities.  And I still have a million dreams that I want to fulfill.  Sometimes, my days seem to have no direction still searching for answers.  And at other times, I still try to make sense of the things in my life and wonder if I'm going the right way.

But I know too that each new day is a new chance to live life.  To breathe more.  To pray harder.  To do something bigger.  To be 'the good' in the world for others.  And live with more meaning.

And I also know that every day is God's second chance for us to create ripples in our own lives and in other people's lives.

As I walked past the medical staff's station through to the testing room and witnessed how they were selflessly serving others despite the risks, I realized even more that we all need to seize the day no matter what.

Before it's too late.


*(As I write this, I carry the happy news that my test is negative...thank You, Lord!)*




No comments:

Post a Comment