Monday 8 June 2020

Chicken Soup


Monday...and the first day of winter...gosh, two things I'm not a fan of, I thought as I woke up from an empty dream last Monday morning.

Like some people, I don't particularly like Mondays.  And I don't like winter as I don't like feeling uncomfortably cold.  Though I have some nice beanies, scarves, coats and boots, I'm not really keen on wearing layers.  And not too happy with early sunsets and shorter days.


Thankfully, seasons change.  And in three months' time, it'll be spring (yay!).  In the meantime, I live each day as it comes.  Drag myself from bed on weekday mornings and conquer the cold.  Put the heater on and wish it won't give me any nosebleed.  Wash my hands and shower with hot water, and just try my best to manage dry skin.


In the midst of the hassles of winter, I thank God that I still manage to find the positives and 
my happy.  Like not having to endure the high temperature of a super hot summer.  And having a good excuse to stay longer in bed on a cold weekend morning.  Getting to drink more of my favorite hot cocoa.  And having nice hot soups to help with chilly evenings, particularly tinola (Filipino dish), one of my favorite chicken soups that my Mom loved to cook for us.

I remember when I was just starting off here as a new immigrant, I didn't know a single soup recipe and had to call my Mom.  So now every time I cook that dish, not only does it warm my body, but it also comforts my heart.  It's like having Mom's tinola once again (I miss her every day) and it's like chicken soup for my soul (thanks Mom) ΓΌ


Now that the days and nights are getting colder every day, I thank God that I have my winter warmers and Mom's tinola with me...they won't change me into a winter person, but will definitely help me through my winter 'blues'.  *smile*







  

No comments:

Post a Comment